Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Charlie Brown Christmas


Tonight was the "Charlie Brown Christmas Special" on TV. I know you remember the one... it was the one we all waited for as kids.... and ran to the TV... it was a "special event".
My kids are a bit more jaded. After all, their generation has Boom, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc., etc.
Somehow, though, it still retains its magic.
So, there we were, snuggled up together under the quilt, watching Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Pigpen, and the whole gang get ready for Christmas. My kids thought it was hilarious that every time Pigpen would sing a cloud of dust would rise up. :-)
When Charlie Brown and Linus went to the Christmas Tree lot and picked their way through all the shiny, metal, over-processed Christmas trees, and selected the one sad little tree that just needed some love, I thought "Hmm... are my kids going to 'get' this....?"
Later on, we were getting them ready for bed and my 11 year old son said "Mom, I've decided what the 3 best things about Christmas are." (I fully expected to hear: PS2, Nintendo, and X-Box). He shocked me when he continued: "Jesus is first. Spending time with family is second. And then presents are third." I smiled, nodded through my blurry, tear-stained vision, and kissed him goodnight. I guess he did "get it" after all.

No comments: