Monday, December 24, 2007

What I've Learned from George Bailey

It's once again that time of year to watch my very favorite movie, "It's A Wonderful Life". It always makes me laugh, cry and, most importantly, it always makes me appreciate the life I already have. I guess I love George Bailey because I see myself in some of his struggles: depression, discouragement, anxiety, etc.

As the movie unfolds his guardian angel (the sweet, simple Clarence) helps him to see that he already possesses a truly Wonderful Life, if he'll only open his eyes and see it.

Here are the 3 Big Things (and very simple lessons) I've learned from George Bailey over the years:

  1. Money, careers, cars, houses and the acquisition of More Stuff don't matter.... the only things that matters are your relationships with people; and your relationship with God. (Matthew 6:24; 1 Peter 1:24-25)
  2. Your life touches so many others' lives, in ways you don't see and can't even imagine. Remember to love God, and to love others (and don't forget to love yourself). (Matthew 22:36-40)
  3. Your life is important to God, and He has a plan for you. (Jeremiah 29:11; Psalms 139: 13-14; Luke 12:6-7)

No comments: