Monday, January 11, 2010

Avatar, a Movie Review




So, I finally got around to seeing "Avatar" this weekend.
And NO, I'm not going to tell you my life was changed.
NO, I'm not one of those people who is suffering from post-"Avatar" depression and suicidal thoughts (and if you are one of those people, please go to the nearest emergency room and get help.  Seriously.  It was a MOVIE, for crying out loud.)

Ready for the review?  You sure?

OK, here goes:  Take 2 parts "Dances With Wolves" (a movie I dearly loved), add 1 part Michael Bay in-your-face explosions, 1 part way-too-long-how-in-the-world-do-we-wrap-this-up-NOW screenwriting, and wrap it ALL UP in truly amazing (and boy do I mean amazing) vibrating, colorful, knock-your-socks-off special effects, and you have...... "AVATAR".

I give it a solid 6.5 out of 10.

Seriously.  I rate it between Above Average and Good.  (If it weren't for the dazzling special effects, it would have been Very Average....) 

The story line has been done before (way better, in "Dances with Wolves"), and the screenwriting was murky, and way too long.  (Oh, and could the villainous Colonel have been any more of a caricature?  I was just waiting for him to laugh and it to sound like this:  "Mwah ha ha!")

BUT the special effects made up for the tedium.  Really. 

Bottom line:  if you're thinking of going to see it, definitely go see it on the big screen. 

Oh yes, and be prepared.  You'll really want a pet dragon (to fly around on) when it's over.  :)

1 comment:

Najia said...

Holy cannoli! Your review is dead on sister! I saw it Friday night and I really liked it, but like you, I thought Dances With Wolves delivered the same message way better. I loved the special effects, and YES, I want a technicolor flying pet dragon!!!!