Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Political Strategy


Super Tuesday, and the Georgia Primary, are rapidly approaching. At this stage in the game, I have decided that the best thing I can do is cast my vote as a strategic, "pre-emptive strike" against Hillary Clinton, rather than vote for someone who I think would be the best "fit" for the Presidency. Now, don't get me wrong.... despite the above graphic (which is quite funny, don't you think?) I really don't think Hillary is evil... I just don't think she'd make a good president.
I've always been somewhat hard to categorize, politically speaking. I'm a registered Democrat, and have been since college. And, in many ways, I'm still very loyal to the ideals the Democratic Party espouses - social justice and equality; racial harmony; proper taxation; level corporate playing field; etc. However, I'm also strongly pro-life and very squeamish about stem cell research, cloning, gay marriage, etc. So, I'm not easy to pigeonhole, and I don't follow a "party line".
The two main Republicans running for office leave me feeling "underwhelmed" and unimpressed. It's like being presented with brussel sprouts and steamed cabbage, and asked which one I'd rather have. "Ummm, can I just have a slice of chocolate cake instead?"
McCain leaves me cold. His mean streak really bothers me. And what about Mitt Romney? He's just a little too squeaky-clean for me. I picture him drinking a lot of milk. I do like Huckabee, quite possibly because we share the same beliefs, but I have a feeling he won't be running much longer.
So, next Tuesday I'll pull the lever (electronically speaking) to vote for Barack Obama. I realize my state will most certainly go Republican in the Fall, so my vote for Obama next Tuesday will merely be my small strategic contribution to keep The Shrill One from winning Georgia delegates. So, looking forward, what if Barack actually did win the presidency? What if it's not the "fairy tale" that Billary proclaimed it to be? It's certainly a possibility. Would he make a good president? Beats the heck out of me.
It will be most interesting to watch it all unfold.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh SO funny!
I understand your predicament...we had our primaries on this last Tuesday....good luck girl!!