Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Winter Hibernation


I discovered this morning that I have unwittingly acquired a winter hibernation body.

Because I work for myself, at home, I'm in sweats and sneakers most of the time. I rarely even wear makeup anymore, unless I'm going out to lunch with a friend, or to church, or whatever. But on your regular run-of-the-mill workday, I am here at my computer, dog at my feet, wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants (usually unmatched), no makeup and hair pulled back in a ponytail. "Glamour, Interrupted" for sure.

It's rather humorous because I used to be somewhat vain. I used to be the girl who NEVER left the house without makeup and hair "just so". I also have a whole closet of gorgeous clothes that I never wear anymore, now that I no longer participate in the daily Fashion Show that IS the Modern Corporate Workplace.

Why do I bring this up? Well, today I looked in the mirror and saw the woman above. Not REALLY, but it was amusingly close. I guess I've been avoiding my image in the mirror for the past several months but today it became apparent: too many muffins for breakfast; too many paninis for lunch. Not enough veggies; not enough gym time.

I am..... drum roll please: Mrs. Frump.

My husband doesn't seem to mind, but I guess I should probably ask him. I'm sure he misses the hot babe that he married 16 years ago, but she is long gone (I do joke with him that for me to fit into my size 2 jeans again, famine will have to strike our fair land...).

I guess this is much less a personal crisis than just an interesting observation on how passing time can really change what one views as important. Size 2 jeans, perfect hair and flawless makeup aren't even on my Daily Importance Radar anymore and to be honest, I couldn't care less.
So.... Welcome, Mrs. Frump. Come on in, and bring an extra babushka.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh Tracey!
I have actually been feeling the same way the last couple of months.
I used to never leave the house without makeup or "coordinating" outfits....and it is not because I stopped working outside the home.
I think I just stopped caring what others see in me?? (I was thinking about how to write about this the last few days too, so funny)
Putting on the makeup and making all is perfect is just SO time consuming for me know...it has to be worth my time to make the effort...maybe it is just the weather??? I don't think it is for me.... I think finally after 40 years I am comfortable in my own skin.
Today, I have to leave my house, and I promise I will put on some blush and lipstick! But after I clean some more tile.....
TTFN