Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snow Day!


Snow is predicted in Atlanta's forecast for tonight. This is a rarity for us. The last time we had any measurable snow in Atlanta was (...thinking....) at least four years ago.

My children are praying (literally) for a snow day.

I remember when I was a kid, and the excitement and the giddiness of the impending snow day. I remember waiting and hoping that school would be called off... getting up while it was not yet light out.... straining to see out my bedroom window into the dark (is there snow on the ground?). Yes! Then, of course, there was the agony of waiting through the interminably long list of school closings on the radio. It always seemed like my school system was the VERY last one to announce whether or not they would close.
At long last, it was announced - my school was closed for the day! There was the delicious bliss of being able to go back to sleep for awhile. Then I'd wander downstairs in my jammies; watch cartoons for awhile, and have breakfast. Mom would make french toast and hot cocoa for me and my brother, and she'd have a fire going in the fireplace. Once we were full and ready to brave the elements, the fun would begin. We'd get all bundled up and go outside, meet up with our friends and make snowmen and have snowball fights. We'd stay outdoors until our hands were completely numb and we couldn't feel our toes. So we'd come back in, thaw out by the fire, drink more cocoa, then go out and do it all some more. I also loved walking through the woods with my dog and the way the fresh snow would crunch under my boots and how quiet everything was; and how everything looked so different when it was covered in a blanket of pure white. Beautiful. Silent.

I really hope it snows tonight.
I'll have the french toast and the hot chocolate ready for my kids.

No comments: