Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Ever-Icky Dr. Laura Schlessinger

Did anyone see Dr. Laura Schlessinger on the Today show this morning?

I've long felt Dr. Laura is a mean-spirited, 'moral bully'...
Saying I'm NOT a fan of hers is an understatement.

Anyway, they were talking this morning on Today about Elliott Spitzer, the teeth-baring "crime-fighter-of-Wall-Street" who cloaks himself in the righteous garb of the Governor of New York. (Not a fan of his either, as you may have surmised.) The Today show had assembled various talking heads to discuss the problem Mr. Spitzer has had with keeping his zipper up.
When it was Dr. Laura's turn to speak, she had the lovely (and most helpful) comment that it's usually the wife's fault when the husband strays sexually, because the wife isn't providing enough "cheerleading" and "intimacy" for her husband.

What?!

Now, don't get me wrong.... I realize that lack of intimacy and lack of moral support do GREAT damage to a man's psyche. In fact, I think men, as a group, need much more encouragement than women do; but to say that a wife's lack of attention is the ROOT CAUSE of her husband's sexual infidelity??? (I'm sorry, but didn't Mr. Spitzer have to unzip his pants at some point during his adulterous dalliance?)

And as far as calling the kettle black: a peek into Dr. Laura's past reveals that she began dating her husband while he was still married to his former wife.

Is this really someone whose opinion we should be listening to?

Dr. Laura is a Confirmed Hypocrite, and a Certified Nincompoop.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I agree. That was a pretty harsh statement. I used to "try" to listen to her radio show. She has a lot of good insight into parenting...that much I agree on.
But she can be SO condesending too.