Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Grace (Eventually)" ... Another Gem from Anne Lamott

I savor Anne Lamott's writing, in much the same way I savor Dulce de Leche ice cream (it's the best, isn't it?)

I'm reading Grace (Eventually) Thoughts on Faith right now. And I'm LOVING it. I loved Traveling Mercies. Didn't like Plan B so much (too much Bush-bashing.... I wanted more God-stuff).

Her other masterpieces include Operating Instructions (which got me through my first year as a mother and made me feel substantially LESS crazy).... Bird by Bird (a must-read for anyone who loves to write). The woman is an absolute GEM. Seriously. If I could meet one living writer (ok, well, that would be Gabriel Garcia Marquez) but if I could meet one MORE living writer, it would be Anne Lamott.

So, if you're looking for a really great, really HONEST book on how a former alcoholic came to faith, and how she deals with life's struggles, I'd recommend Traveling Mercies, and also Grace (Eventually).

Here's a line from Grace (Eventually) that made me laugh out loud, because it SO speaks to those of us who are believers, try so hard, and yet keep falling down..... but dust ourselves off and get right back up.

"Sometimes I think that Jesus watches my neurotic struggles, and shakes his head and grips his forehead and starts tossing back mojitos."

I love her humor. And I love how much she loves Jesus. And I love how much she keeps trying.... and that's what life is all about.

7 comments:

Gberger said...

She is one of my absolute favorites. I loved her conversion story, her relationship with Pammy, her take on babies and accompanying her dad (& Pammy) when they had cancer. And the way she sees & talks about Jesus, as you said.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Sounds like a book I would like also...
when I first saw your post title I thought it said: "Grave (eventually)"
I thought, oh lordy who is the goner????

HWHL said...

Suz,
You would LOVE her writing... she's VERY funny, in a smart alecky way (a lot like a certain BLONDE chica I know who lives in sunny South Florida!). Go check out her books. (Avoid "Plan B" though.... not a good book.)
Get "Traveling Mercies" and "Bird by Bird".... those are my 2 favorites of her non-fiction ones. She's hysterical. You'll laugh so hard that Mountain Dew will come out of your nose. :)

HWHL said...

Karen,
I love her conversion story too! In fact I quote the WHOLE thing on my blog! (It's under Labels: Anne Lamott)... I think it's so beautiful, raw, and REAL.... it makes my eyes water when I think about it!
If I saw her in public I'd probably scare her to death, because I'd simply have to run up and HUG HER AS HARD AS I COULD!

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I don't get much of a chance to read anymore but you peeked my interest with Operating Instructions. Her humor sounds right up my alley. Grace (Eventually) sounds like a pisser too. Love the quote about Jesus and the mojitos. I laughed out loud.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

J. Moses said...

Until now, I could never find the "follow" link to add you officially to my follow list! I would read, but I always had to go through Cliff's blog to get here :)

HWHL said...

Jeremy,
I'm glad you found the link over here! Hope you are doing well!