Friday, January 2, 2009

Mexican CrockPot Chicken (a VERY simple recipe)

FIRST of all, it's very important to understand that I don't cook. I'm really a horrible cook. My husband does about 95% of the cooking in our house.

However, I'm going to TRY NEW THINGS this year and, I found this recipe, tried it, and SHOCKED AND DELIGHTED my family.

Here are some of the actual responses:

My 12 year old son: (with shocked look): "This is actually good, Mom!"
My 11 year old daughter: "You cooked?" Then, after taking a bite, "Wow. You made this, with no help from Dad?" Then later, telling her BFF how good it was "I can't believe that my own mother made it."

I was beaming.

Ok, super easy - here it is:

Mexican CrockPot Chicken & Rice
1 or 2 lbs. chicken cutlets (boneless/skinless)
1 envelope taco seasonings
1 jar picante sauce (I used the tequila/lime kind)
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Throw all this in a crock pot - mix it up and turn it on high for 3- 4 hours.

Cook some rice. (Follow the directions.)
When the rice is almost done, stir 8 oz. of sour cream into the crock pot mixture.

Serve the chicken/sauce mixture over the rice. If you want to be healthy, have a crispy green salad. (You should be doing this anyway; after all it's the beginning of the new YEAR, for cryin' out loud!).

Delicioso!

6 comments:

Me said...

Ok this sounds a) delicious and b) simple enough for me to make! So YAY! I will try it!!

I LOVE the snowmen background. I saw a link on your blog for backgrounds so I'm going to check that out now so thanks in advance. I may have to steal your snowmen though! First the recipe then the snowmen. Geez, I'm greedy today.

Anonymous said...

its simple but very delicious recipe. use free printable coupons to save money on shopping.

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

Yummy ... anything with sour cream and chicken is on my list. xoxo.

ChiTown Girl said...

Do you cut that chicken up, or leave the breasts whole? I have a tendency to fork-shred chicken whenever I make it in the crockpot (mostly because it's so tender) I'll bet the shredded chicken mix would be awesome wrapped in tortillas. Or better yet, turned into chicken enchiladas. YUM!

HWHL said...

ChiTown,
I cut the chicken into smaller pieces and YES, it would be perfect in enchiladas. (I have been BEGGING - shamelessly - for KBL's husband's Chicken Enchilada casserole recipe for awhile now.) So far, no luck. But this was a really good substitute. Really, you could easily turn these into enchiladas. Melt some cheese on the top, sprinkle some chopped tomatoes on top, scallions, olives, etc. As a matter of fact, we might not need Ed's recipe after all! Harumph! :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

OOOhhhh...This sounds so good. Not sure how I missed it before.
I love using my crock pot!!