Thursday, January 1, 2009

Soul Food on New Years Day


Hubster, J & S

My Mom, and J.



Hoppin' John, and Collard Greens - A Southern New Years Day Tradition
(technically it's not hoppin' John until you mix the beans and rice together...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hubster, the Chef-in-Charge at Casa de Nuestra, makes a ton of soul food every New Years Day and whoever wants to come over and chow down is welcome.

In the South, Hoppin' John is for good luck in the coming year (for the uninitiated, hoppin' John is rice served with black eyed peas, which are cooked with a ham hock, onions, celery, and spices. Yummy).

Collard greens are for prosperity for the coming year. Maybe the reason I'm not rich is because I don't eat them. Have you TRIED collards?! They smell like flatulence, and they taste like grass clippings. No thanks. I'll continue to work for my cash, if it's all the same. :-)


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


Say it with me now, y'all:
"2009 will be just fine!"
"2009 will be sublime!"

9 comments:

Najia said...

Tee hee :-)...I actually LOVE collard greens. Haven't hit the lotto yet, so I wouldn't worry if you don't like to eat 'em...just leaves more for the rest of us! Happy New Year!!!

Unknown said...

oh man how I miss me some soul food!

i haven't had collards, crawfish, catfish, mac n cheese, grits, biscuits n gravy since I moved away from norther florida (30 mins away from Georgia)

dang, i miss it!!!

Michele said...

I've never eaten Soul food before and probably never will... my husband curled his lip when I showed him this and said, "NO WAY"... lol so yeh, ... guess that's answers my question...

Have a good weekend!

~Michele~

Boquinha said...

Collards are SO GOOD! Drizzle with Olive Oil and sprinkle with rock salt. YUM! Happy New Year! :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I don't eat that stuff either...just not my 'thang. :)
My Mom and aunt do it though and tell me that I already have good luck so therefore I don't need to do this. :)
Love the pictures.
2009 will be sublime!!!!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Ya, the hoppin' john sounds good, but I'd have to pass on the collard greens too. I'm picky about my green food and slimy, smelly green food is probably too much for me to handle.

Cliff said...

The year we just left, 2008
I didn't think was all that great
If we all go through 2009
With Christ as Lord, it will be fine
We all will see, when it is through
It will be great with friends like you

Me said...

Your daughter kind of looks like my cousin Charlotte when she was younger! So cute!

ChiTown Girl said...

Aw, HWHL, collard greens ROCK!! One of the (few!) positive things to come out of me working in the 'hood is that I've developed an obsession with soul food! Thanks to school, I know love greens, and adore grits! Can't get enough of them. Even if I'm always teased about eating my grits "like a white girl." My babies are very aware of my love for greens, so whenever they are served in the lunchroom, they all offer to give me theirs. Too cute!!