Monday, April 14, 2008

Angel Oak

This tree, just outside Charleston, SC, is estimated to be about 1,400 years old. I used to visit it fairly regularly when I lived in Charleston and have always been in awe of its beauty, even more so than its size.

Think about its age for a second. 1,400 years. Think of all the people (and all the cultures of peoples) who have passed by it.... and of all the children who have played on its branches..... and of all the rulers who have been in power while this tree has been alive.

Pretty amazing, huh?

Too bad trees can't talk. We might be able to learn a lot from them.

5 comments:

anneseekingjoy said...

Oh wow- the tree that you were telling me about earlier! I'm so happy I added your feed so I can read your blog and see photos like this.

Have a great day.

Anne :)

HWHL said...

It is really beautiful, isn't it? Every time I go to Charleston, even if it's only briefly, I make it a point to drive out to Johns Island and visit with the tree.

Like you, Anne, I like the solace and the peace I find in nature.

Dawn said...

Oh! Our family has played on this tree! While my husband was stationed in Charleston we found so many treasures...this being one of them. Thank you for hte reminder of another great day.

~Dawn

HWHL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HWHL said...

Thanks, Dawn - was your hubby in the Navy, or the Air Force?