Monday, April 21, 2008

The Fine Art of Faking It

My 12 year old son is home "sick" today.
He sprained his ankle late yesterday while playing basketball.

Now, I've had a sprained ankle and I realize it hurts but last night I could see him "sizing up" the situation, as far as staying home from school....

Anyway, after the injury, I put ice on it, elevated it, then had him walk around a little bit just to make sure nothing was broken, then wrapped it up nice and snug in an ace bandage before he went to bed.

This morning I unwrapped the bandage - swelling was still there - but it wasn't black and blue. I announced, much to his disappointment, that he had to go to school. But, I told him he could wear anything he wanted (including the formerly "banned" gray muscle shirt that I hate so much....)

So, 10 minutes pass and he comes dramatically down the stairs, WINCING IN PAIN WITH EACH STEP (wearing the gray muscle shirt, of course). I refuse to fall for this dramatic entrance, and promptly pour him a bowl of cereal and a glass of milk. He realizes that he has to "up the ante" very quickly as his bus is due to arrive in less than 5 minutes.

I turn around and he's fake-crying.
Now, to get ANY boy to fake-cry takes some effort, but especially my boy, who just doesn't cry. I was a bit alarmed and thought perhaps I hadn't taken his pain seriously enough. So, I told him to go back upstairs and rest and he wouldn't have to go to school today after all. He nodded, and stoically proceeded back up to his room. But before he ascended the steps, he turned, looked at me and asked "When can I come down and play video games?"

Yes, I was duped.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

this made me laugh out loud.
you WERE duped. But who has not been?

Gustav said...

Welcome to the "duped club" my 10 year old daughter outwits me all the time.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like your profile favorite movie "Its a wonderful Life". Its one of my favorites especially near Christmas and still brings a tear to my eye.

Have a nice day.

HWHL said...

Gustav, I also have a 10 year old daughter (dramatic little creatures, aren't they??) :-)

I'm frequently amazed at what adept negotiators, salesmen and ACTORS my children can be. :-)