Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Perils of Being Your Own Boss

I got burned yesterday. Not literally, but figuratively.
I'm a self-employed recruiter and every now and then my sixth sense tells me that a certain candidate is "trouble".... it told me that with this particular candidate (we'll call him JOHN) but I chose to ignore my sixth sense, because one of my clients was interested in interviewing him for a very nice sales position. (Sales placements pay a higher commission than others, so I guess the thought of THAT possibility made me clamp my hand over the protests of my sixth sense.)

Anyway, the interview was yesterday. JOHN was going to be meeting with the President of this company, as well as with the Director of Operations. BIG interview, for a very good job. I had confirmed with him the date, time and directions for the interview, given him their office phone number, my office and cell number, etc. In short, he had ALL the information he could POSSIBLY need.

Half an hour after his interview was to begin I get a call from the Director of Operations. JOHN is a no show. I call JOHN's cell. He doesn't pick up. I use the paging feature. He doesn't return my page. I called, emailed and paged him through the remainder of the day (each time getting more and more annoyed that I had chosen to ignore my sixth sense).

He never had the courtesy (or professionalism) to return my calls, pages, or emails.
My husband said "Maybe he's dead on his kitchen floor". Maybe, but highly unlikely. I think he's just an irresponsible person who acted unprofessionally, and simply doesn't care.

Obviously very frustrating.
After I finish shredding his resume this morning, I'll be apologizing to my sixth sense, and listening to it from here on out.

No comments: