Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chicken Little on my TV

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really tired of turning on the national news every day and hearing Brian Williams, Matt Lauer, and Every Other Anchorman out there tell me, with a VERY SERIOUS FACE, that the American Economy is in very serious trouble.

I think we've been informed.

It seems to me the more the American public has this Consistent Bad News dripped into their psyche (not unlike Chinese water torture), soon that becomes all they can think about, all they can talk about, and before long, they're wringing their collective hands with worry and looking around in a near-panic. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And I think it's incredibly irresponsible of the media to circle like sharks around these same "bad news" stories again and again. Our culture is very open to suggestion, especially from a well-dressed anchorperson who we listen to every single day (and tend to trust).

I think I'm just going to have to do without any news for awhile.

After all, what will be will be. We've endured recessions before. We'll continue to work, save, and take care of our family, just like we always have. There's certainly no reason to assume that we'll soon be wandering the streets, naked and being pelted with garbage.

People need to remember: you become what you think about; therefore it's critically important to fill your mind with positive thoughts as often as possible.

Turn off the news and realize that YOU are the captain of your ship, so start steering.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I agree.
The media tries(and it works) so hard to shove crap down our throats. IT is OLD!!!
I don't watch much of the news. Or even read the paper. I am in denial of all bad things. :)