Thursday, April 17, 2008

Biltmore Bound


Tomorrow morning, about 30 seconds after my kids hop on their schoolbus, 3 girlfriends and I pull out for a weekend at the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.

I've been to the Biltmore House twice in the past - it really is over-the-top opulent, and absolutely AMAZING to me that a family of 3 (THREE!) people lived there, as their "Summer house".

But, the house itself is not my favorite part of the estate. The gardens and the winery are.

The gardens are breathtaking - there are some rose bushes there that are over 100 years old! And the scent of these roses - oh my. Roses these days are basically scent-less, because they've been "engineered" to be big and bright, but the Biltmore roses are the old-fashioned kind that have just an amazing, heady ROSE scent that is impossible to describe. (Ah, how lovely it must be to be a bee or butterfly and just fly directly into a rose and walk around inside it.) :-)

The winery is also quite impressive. They have tastings (and the wines are really quite good), and we're scheduled to attend a "wine and chocolate seminar" Saturday afternoon. Eventually (after the buzz wears off), we'll drive home late on Saturday.

Can't wait. Girl time, with good food, beautiful flowers, good wine, good talk, and good music.

3 comments:

matt said...

Yeah...jealous.

Suzanne said...

Have a great time.
We stayed at the biltomore hotel a few years back, but did not get to do the big tour. We had the girls w/ us....didn't think they would get our "money's worth"
take lots of photos!!

HWHL said...

I forgot my camera - can you beieve that???

However, my friend Chrissy (who actually used to BE a professional photographer) brought hers, so eventually, I'll post some photos... we had a great time... until we hit the dog, on the way home. :-(