Sunday, April 20, 2008

People Are Weird

From the "I Just Don't Get It" file....

I have a GREAT job opening that I'm having a HELL of a time filling. My client runs a top notch operation, pays his people a very generous base salary, very good commission, and then on TOP of that, also awards them with great yearly bonuses when the company meets its (attainable) goals. To say he values his people is an understatement. His company is growing leaps and bounds. People who work for him see their career sky-rocket.

So, anyway, he's been looking for a new Account Executive for his firm. A couple of weeks ago, I find him a PERFECT candidate. This candidate could not BE more perfect - she has the education, the skills, the work background, the personality, the general "spirit", etc. he is looking for. Basically, she's a recruiter's DREAM.

So, I get these two together for an interview and... the heavens open up... there's rainbows and butterflies everywhere, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is singing in the background.

My client proposes (makes an offer of employment) and my candidate giddily accepts. I stand to make a nice fee, AND stand to help someone's career move forward VERY quickly. (All good things.)

My candidate goes back to her current employer and turns in her notice of resignation. 24 hours later her current employer (who, heretofore, had basically IGNORED her completely, passed her over for raises, promotions, etc.) now suddently CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT HER, and matches the offer of my client. (AND, they pull out the Guilt Card.)

My candidate, because she is still relatively young and doesn't realize that she's being played, falls for this guilt-laden trap, and accepts the counter, thus snuffing any chances of growing her career with my client and his fast growing firm. She chooses instead to stay with her current company who last week barely showed her the time of day.

And now, I have to start my search, all over again.

I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

that really stinks. She will realize one day that she messed up royally. Sorry you have wasted your time...
hopefully you will make up for it somehow.
Hugs....

HWHL said...

I've already got 2 new deals in the works.... when you're self employed, you gotta pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and get right back up on that horse that threw you!