Friday, April 4, 2008

Life's Strange Sadness


My 78 year old father is in the hospital - he had heart surgery today at St Joseph's, in Atlanta.
He did very well, especially considering his age, and considering his assorted health complications.

But anytime he has gone into the hospital (which is quite a bit the past several months), I stop, pray, then sort of hold my breath.

And, of course, he's my Daddy. Who I happen to love very much. And who I full well realize will not be around forever.

I hate the fact that parents grow old. I hate the fact that I will never (at least not in this life) know my parents in their prime, when I am in my prime. Wouldn't life be grand if parents would only age to a certain level and then you could know them on more of a 'peer' basis? And aging would just..... stop....?

I look forward to the eternal life that the Bible promises believers, where we will each be given a new and perfect body; one that does not succumb to disease, death or aging.... one that is not crippled by physical ailments, or flawed by mental illness. What a wonderful, amazing new world it will be.

I greatly look forward to seeing each of my grandparents, who I only have foggy memories of. In fact, I can't wait to get to really know them.

And I won't even get started about how excited I am about being in the presence of Jesus, because then this blog will go on ALL NIGHT, and I'm already starting to cry a bit as I write this.
But, suffice it to say, despite life's sadness, there's the promise of much, much beauty and joy that lies for us on the other side. Beauty, happiness, and completion for our souls, I guess is the best way to put it. And that completion will SO make whatever trials we endured while here on earth seem so very insignificant.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Tracey,
This is beautiful.
I will add your father to my prayers...I hope he is recovering well.

HWHL said...

He is, thanks. He just HATES growing old.... I'm sure I'll feel the same way at his age.
Thanks for the prayers, girlfriend. :-)