Wednesday, April 16, 2008

le printemps est retournee


I'm sure I butchered that phrase. I was trying to say, en francais, that Springtime has returned, at last.

Spring in Atlanta is normally not so fickle as it has been this year. Lately it has been extremely chilly, gray, and rainy (not that I'm complaining about the rain, mind you.... the North Georgia area is still in the throes of the worst drought in All Recorded History, so rain is a most welcome guest...)

However, today I was literally awakened by birds chirping in the trees right outside my bedroom window. I looked outside and was greeted by that lovely Spring-Blue sky (soft and warm), and the day was completely perfect. The cherry trees are still blooming (the blossoms have turned from white to a lovely shell pink), and the dogwoods are starting to come out and so are the azaleas.

It's almost like God has reached down, taken my still partially frozen soul from my body, warmed it gently between his palms and breathed softly on it, and then put it back into my body. I just feel so happy and peaceful. Happy, peaceful, and extremely thankful to have such a magnificent creation to enjoy.

As John MacMurray (one of my favorite nature photographers) put it, nature's beauty is wildly unnecessary (meaning, of course, that nature's beauty serves absolutely NO functional purpose and is designed only for the pleasure of the one who views and inhabits it.)

No comments: