Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Beware of Bambi and other Bucks

Saw a dead buck just outside my 'hood this morning. Although I live in a well-populated northern Atlanta 'burb, the area around us is very heavily wooded. AND (if you didn't know) November is the month when most "Deer vs Car" accidents are likely to occur. (They tend to occur mostly at dawn and at dusk.)

Always so sad to see a beautiful creature like this who has been killed by a car. (I'm sure the car didn't look too great either....)

Anyway, be careful out there..... if you've ever had a deer spring out in front of your car, you know there really isn't much warning...

5 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

I feel for all the wildlife. I wish I could take them somewhere safe away from cars and guns. :0
Like the island of misfits or something similar.

HWHL said...

The Land of Misfit Toys??! :-)
LOL... that's so cute.

Cliff said...

I have behind the wheel for 3 deer versus car incidents and a passenger for a fourth. I feel I have more than reached my quota.

HWHL said...

Cliff,
You've DEFINITELY reached your quota. I've been behind the "wheel" at one horse vs. deer (luckily the horse didn't spook... just stopped, then he and the deer met eyes, the deer bounded off the path, and we were on our way (whew!) and then two close calls in a car. It is very scary. A big buck is a large and formidable creature.

Michele said...

Unfortunately many of them are out there constantly getting hit by vehicles here... so sad. I see an average of 2 per week on the side of the road... I'm not kidding you. There isn't a day here that I don't see at least 12 deer walk past me as I go to and from work!! They are just as common as dogs! =)