Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Turkey Manifesto


My daughter (the 5th grade "sudden animal activist") has decided to post her manifesto about why we shouldn't eat turkey up on the pantry door. (If you look closely at the picture you can see the sheet that says "Don't Eat Me".... and what follows is a 'persuasive letter' written from the turkey's point of view.)

(Clearly, she has forgotten that she lives with a family of carnivores....)

She did try, unsuccessfully, to be a vegetarian a few years ago. (This was due in large part to the fact that her BFF Rachel is a vegetarian....) This last foray into vegetarianism lasted about 3 days until we were eating a pizza and I pointed out to her (as she was biting into her pepperoni slice) that pepperoni is "off the menu" for vegetarians. She looked momentarily dismayed, then continued right on eating.

We'll see how tomorrow goes. I do know ONE thing.... and it's that my little girl LOVES gravy.... I don't think she has any clue it's made from animal fat. :-)

6 comments:

dons_mind said...

lol - - both my girls made valiant attempts at being vegetarians while they were growing up. i think the oldest actually stuck to it for a number of months mostly (as you also noted) because of friends...but as happens it passed and they're back with us meat-eaters today! we surely eat a lot less meat than we used to, but, for me anyway, vegetarianism will never work...

you all have a great Thanksgiving! eat a lot, watch football and have fun with the family!

Cliff said...

I am a member of the other PETA-People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

Boquinha said...

That is hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, how sweet! I'm proud of your daughter!!!

I go back and forth on vegeterianism. So does my oldest son. One day, I hope we stick with it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

J. Moses said...

LOL...Out of the mouths of babes...that's what I think...

Happy Thanksgiving to the readers of Happy Wife Happy Life :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is sweet, although my eyes are bad and I cold not read the entire letter. :(
I think of this often too....going vegetarian. It usually only lasts a day or so....how about tofu for Thanksgiving??? :_