Sunday, November 16, 2008

Need Encouragement?

James 2: 2 - 6
My brothers and sisters, you will face all kinds of trouble. When you do, think of it as pure joy. Your faith will be put to the test. You know that when that happens it will produce in you the strength to continue. The strength to keep going must be allowed to finish its work. Then you will be all you should be. You will have everything you need. If any of you need wisdom, ask God for it. He will give it to you. God gives freely to everyone. He doesn't find fault. But when you ask, you must believe. You must not doubt. People who doubt are like waves of the sea. The wind blows and tosses them around.


Matthew 6: 25-34
I tell you, do not worry. Don't worry about your life and what you will eat or drink. And don't worry about your body and what you will wear. Isn't there more to life than eating? Aren't there more important things for the body than clothes?
Look at the birds of the air. They don't plant or gather crops. They don't put away crops in storerooms. But your Father who is in heaven feeds them. Aren't you worth much more than they are? Can you add even one hour to your life by worrying? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the wild flowers grow. They don't work or make clothing. But here is what I tell you. Not even Solomon in all of his glory was dressed like one of those flowers. If that is how God dresses the wild grass, won't he dress you even better? After all, the grass is here only today. Tomorrow it is thrown into the fire. Your faith is so small!
So don't worry. Don't say, 'What will we eat?' Or, 'What will we drink?' Or, 'What will we wear?' People who are ungodly run after all of those things. Your Father who is in heaven knows that you need them. But put God's kingdom first. Do what he wants you to do. Then all of those things will also be given to you. So don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd. He gives me everything I need. He lets me lie down in fields of green grass. He leads me beside quiet waters. He gives me new strength. He guides me in the right paths for the honor of his name. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid. You are with me. Your shepherd's rod and staff comfort me. You prepare a feast for me right in front of my enemies. You pour oil on my head. My cup runs over. I am sure that your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life. And I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

__________________

If you haven't talked to God in awhile, what's stopping you?

7 comments:

Me said...

We all need a little encouragement in this troubled times.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Very nice. Thanks. It is a bit different reading scriptures with Rick James singing "Superfreak" in the background though....Have a good day.
Suz

HWHL said...

Suz,
Ha ha - I meant to stop the "auto start" on that - thanks for the heads up, I'll do that now. :-)

Gberger said...

Thank you for sharing these translations of favorite passages. They helped to start my day off well. God bless you!

Cliff said...

I have a feeling that this post was meant for my benefit specifically. At least I feel it was for me. Thank you.

HWHL said...

Cliff, it was in part for you, and in part for some other blogger friends who are struggling with various issues.... life likes to throw us so many curve balls and last night I felt a very clear press to post some encouragement here.

Hopefully it will reach the eyes it is supposed to reach. :-)

Carin said...

thank you, friend...I needed this.