Sunday, November 30, 2008

Once Upon a Time.... (The Kitty Kat Post)


Long long ago, before Diva & Ruby, before my KIDS were born, and even before I became Happy Wife, I was a Crazy Cat Lady (not REALLY, but still....)

I had 2 cats who I was crazy-in-love-with. (Seriously.... I was borderline obsessed with my cats.) This is an OIL PAINTING of them. (My mother commissioned an artist to do this painting for my 21st birthday. And no, my cats did not pose for this.... mom gave the artist several photographs that she worked from.)

Anyway, their names were Jasmine and Mortimer. Jasmine was a beautiful calico kitten who had been abandoned (with her littermates) at a horse stable. My friend Sarah and I were riding horses one afternoon and saw the kittens and I, of course, being an overly idealistic 19 year old at the time, simply had to "save" one of the kitties. Then Mortimer was adopted from the Atlanta Humane Society shortly thereafter. Mortimer was very much a "lover, not a fighter". (He reminds me of Laura's cat Chumley, in that he would make amorous advances towards certain inanimate objects, even after being neutered.)

Jasmine and Mortimer have long since passed away, and gone to the Great Litter Box in the sky.... And, considering I'm allergic to cats, I probably won't have cats for the foreseeable future, although I do dearly love them, and miss having them. Cats are wonderful pets. :-)

10 comments:

amanda said...

I love the painting!

HWHL said...

It is the only original oil painting I own! :-)
LOL!

Unknown said...

I love this! I like cats too! I know a lot of people don't but I just think they are ADORABLE! My husband is dying to bring his to live with us, but I am afraid of CAT PEE! I just hate that smell. Really, really hate it! Any good advice so I can grant my husbands wish? : ) Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Busy Bee Suz said...

So pretty. I remember you talking about them...I also used to be a bit obsessed w/ the felines...Now I wish they would run away. Is that bad? maybe.
I love the name mortimer. Sounds like a funeral home director.
:)
Suz

HWHL said...

Hmmm.... honestly, each of my kitties lived for 13 years and I never had issues with cat pee. Make sure (if they're male cats) that they are neutered. If they're not, they will spray to mark their territory (and then YES, you will have PROBLEMS!) but if they are neutered, they should use the litterbox without any problem. My experience - as long as the litterbox is clean, the cats would always use the bathroom in it. Cats are really VERY clean animals. Much more fastidious and cleanly than dogs, truth be told. And, if they are inside/outside cats, you really will have to worry even less about the "bathroom" issue. I don't think you need to worry about the pee issue at all - BRING THOSE CATS ON HOME GIRL! It will make your husband happy! :-)

HWHL said...

Suz,
Yes - I love the name Mortimer too. It's fun to say it. "Mortimer", especially if you talk in a funny voice to your animals, as I often do.
:-)

Me said...

This is so sweet! I can't believe you have an oil painting of them! What a great tribute to your sweet babes. I LOVE the names Jasmine and Mortimer.

Now I'm actually thinking about getting Chum's portrait done! Obviously he wouldn't sit for it either, unless the painter wanted his eyeballs scratched out!

Gberger said...

I understand this feeling very well. They are unique and they are like magnets. We are so thankful for our two, even though I am constantly cleaning up their fur, year-round. Do dogs shed alot, too? Your painting was quite a gift of love and understanding from your mom.

HWHL said...

Karen,
Ruby who is a mixed breed (but has long fur) does shed quite a bit... I am constantly wandering around with the dustbuster picking up "tumbleweeds". :-)
However, Labs have short, fairly coarse hair that doesn't shed too much.

I do miss having kitties though. They give extra-special (heartfelt) love. When a cat loves you, they REALLY love you (ie: it's not about food!) Give Liger and Latte and extra snuggle and chin scratch from me.
:-)

Dawn said...

i love your kitties... there have only been months in my life when we did not have a kitty :) that being said, our new kitty is driving me crazy- she thinks she is a bird... nesting in the bottom branches of the Christmas tree. I hope she catches on soon that I do not approve- or we may never get the ornaments up!