Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Indestructible Washer and Dryer


I am from the old-fashioned school of thought that when you buy something (especially a large appliance) that it should work for a long, long time.

So, when I read adorable Suz's post that her washing machine had DIED after only 5 1/2 years of life, I was SHOCKED. OUTRAGED.

Ready to call Clark Howard.

Our washing machine (and dryer) was purchased in either 1989 or 1990. It pre-dates my marriage. In fact, it pre-dates my college graduation, now that I think about it.

I casually commented to Suz that my washer had been around that long, and she emailed me a chain of expletives (good-naturedly of course) to express her bewilderment at my good fortune.

And, the crazy thing is, we do laundry almost every day. It has never been repaired.

I'm now on a quest to see how long I can get this thing to last.... maybe the Guiness World Record Book people will come visit me. :-)

4 comments:

Louise said...

I'm with you! Mine was purchased in 1991, and I'd be SO mad if it broke even now!

Me said...

You just jinxed yourself. I'm serious. I give it 6 more days of good use.

amanda said...

I am convinced that newer appliances are not made to last. I have an airconditioner that predates all of us. It is a little loud but cools the house like nothing else. A newer unit bought 2 years ago, just broke...

HWHL said...

Amanda - you are RIGHT!!! My father in law bought one of those SUPER expensive flat screen plasma TV's that cost thousands and thousands... and guess how long it lasted? 2 years. I would have been pissed.