Monday, August 18, 2008

A Tribute to My Mommy

My mom rocks.
I appreciate her more and more every year.
I try to tell her - all the time - how much I love and appreciate her (to make up for the times when I was an insufferable know-it-all hell-raising brat in high school and caused her no end of grief....).

Once I became a mother, I saw my own mom in a whole new light. And ever since then, I've been so thankful that she's my Mom. (And she's such a wonderful grandmother - "Mee Ma" - to my children..)

So, without further ado, here's a (brief) tribute to my great Mommy. (This is by NO means an exhaustive list.... or it would go on and on and on and on....)

Thank you, Mom, for....

1. ... giving me life!
2. Raising me in a loving home.
3. Exposing me to culture, music, art, etc.
4. Insisting I learn to play the piano. :-)
5. Insisting I take gymnastics, synchronized swimming and ballet.
6. Teaching me to cook.
7. Teaching me to do laundry and clean house.
8. Making me do swim team (I loved it!)
9. Introducing me to God at a young age (after giving me life, this is the best thing you've ever done for me!)
10. Consoling me when I had my first broken heart.
11. Taking me to NYC and Boston and Dallas to look at colleges .
12. Always being there for me, no matter what.

13. Being my "cheerleader" during those dark days when my newborn son was in the NICU and things looked so very bleak for him.
14. Helping me through those early months of motherhood when I had no clue what I was doing. :-)
15. Being an awesome grandmother to my children!!

I love you, Mommy!

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

oh, this is the best. I hope your mom gets to see it...it will make her day.
She is fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Mothers are simply the best things ever! Even if they go a little crazy sometimes, I always knew, at the very least, that my mother loved me.

And I appreciate her more and more as the years go on....and I don't live with her.

Gberger said...

Amen to that. It's wonderful to see your tribute to her, and it's lovely that you are telling her now, so she can enjoy it, too! She sounds like a wonderful woman. Please thank her (and you) for her (and your) prayers.
God bless you and your family!

Louise said...

You are blessed, and so is she, to have such a wonderful relationship.

My mom in a way missed out on her grandchildren. An illness took away her ability to do much other than breathe. When I see moms and daughters, I am always envious, and I'm always sad when the daughters don't appreciate their moms. I'm so glad you do.

Michele said...

This is a wonderful tribute!! Beautiful words. Your mom must be very proud of YOU!

The Girl Next Door said...

It is such a blessing to have a great mom - and to APPRECIATE that you have a great mom! I am so glad you enjoy her, and I bet she is so very proud of you, too!

Unknown said...

Nice post. It seems like it's only later in life, especially after we have kids of our own, that we understand all their sacrifices and realize all their love and wisdom.

Anonymous said...

...a beautiful little girl
...a beautiful young woman
I am blessed to be her Mommy....

HWHL said...

Yay Mom! You did it - your first Blog Comment! :-)