Monday, May 19, 2008

How to Live Like You Are Dying

Author, leadership guru, and motivational speaker Dr. John Maxwell came to speak at our church yesterday. I almost played hookie because I thought: 1) it's going to be absolutely PACKED (and it was).... 2) I've never read any of this guy's books.... 3) wouldn't it just be nice to sleep in and have Hubster cook a big breakfast?

But, my conscience told me to get my lazy self up and go, and I'm really glad I did. The message was incredibly powerful. It was, basically, about approaching the rest of your life as though you were dying (which, of course, we all ARE.... although we seldom look at it that way).

Think about it though. Each of us have a finite amount of time on the planet. For instance, I'm 40 years old and in very good health. I may very well live to be 100. Or, I could get hit by a bus and be dead tomorrow.

Am I living my life as though each day were a gift? Am I loving fully? Am I repairing those relationships that have been strained? (And really, while we're on that subject.... does it matter WHOSE fault it was in the first place.....? Really???)

I would challenge you, gentle reader, to approach the rest of your life with the attitude that every day should COUNT. Life is fleeting and precious. Don't let it pass by while you're busy making other plans.

Here's a link to the message Dr. Maxwell gave if you want to listen to it online. It was absolutely wonderful.

5 comments:

Najia said...

Hola! Thanks for stopping over at my "place". I loooove your blog format. Every few months I get the bug to change my blog format and templates. Seeing yours now makes me want to change mine again!

What is your sweet doggie's name? So precious! Congratulations on the soon-to-be new addition to your family! Where are you getting your puppy? I can't wait to see pictures.

I like this post. I'd like to think I live my life as I could be gone tomorrow, but like everyone else, I sometimes fail at it. Reading your post and others like it are great reminders to get back in line with living life the best way possible. Thanks for the link to the lecture too....

Oh, and I really like your blog name...happywifehappylife....makes me look forward to me and Belov-Ed! :-)

Suzanne said...

I love this.
I need to remember this every day!!!
The Tim McGraw song makes me cry everytime I hear it.

HWHL said...

The message was great - if you want me to get you a CD or video, let me know... I'll be happy to do that, and put it in the mail to you. :-)

Unknown said...

Well said! Thanks for the link.

Trivia: The Bible given to me by my dad was signed by Maxwell, in a commission ceremony of sorts. My dad used it when he would make house visits to newcomers of our church, telling them about the basics of the Christian faith.

Me said...

I try to live my life in this type of mind set because you just never know. Some days it's hard though.

So you have an anniversary coming up later in the week too? When is your date? Our 10 year is the 22nd.