Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Most Humbling Experience...

So, I go out this morning to buy toothpaste, paper towels, light bulbs and bananas at my local Big Box store (you know the one.... the REALLY big store that I have "mixed feelings" about shopping at.... but really, where else CAN you buy toothpaste, paper towels, light bulbs, and bananas all in one fell swoop?). Anyway, I digress.

So, I'm walking towards the register with my armfull of Stuff and out of the corner of my eye I spy bathing suits. Not just normal bathing suits, but surprisingly cute bathing suits. So, I amble over to take a look. It just so happens they have my size. I check out the price. Quite reasonable. So, I look around and find a place to "hide" my toothpaste, paper towels, light bulbs and bananas (because you never know who might MAKE OFF with such a bounteous treasure...) and I go and try on a selection of about 6 of these surprisingly cute bathing suits.

In the dressing room was where "how I look in my imagination" met "how I look in reality". Apparently in my imagination I'm still the svelte, really cute young thing I was in my mid 20's. In reality I'm a 40 year old woman who has given birth twice, who rarely exercises and who eats, more or less, whatever the heck I want.

To say I was "humbled" in the dressing room is an understatement. (I'm laughing as I type this, though....it was definitely a humorous moment.)

Did I really think I was going to be transformed into Salma Hayek once I put on these swimsuits? I guess I was hoping that would happen, but it didn't. However, eventually I did find one I really liked. And, even though I wasn't magically transformed into a smokin' hot babe, I do look reasonably good in it.

All in all, a good outing (and a Major Reality Check) at my local Big Box superstore. :-)

4 comments:

abby said...

Yay for finding a cute suit! I honestly and truly think that stores use "ugly" mirrors because I know I always look about ten times uglier and fatter in them than in normal mirrors. Boo Big Box Store.

HWHL said...

That is SO true, Abby! When I tried on my suit again at home (in GOOD lighting and a FRIENDLY mirror), I actually WAS Salma Hayek. :-)

(Not really, of course, but I look good enough where I won't embarrass my children at the pool this Summer.) :-)

Suzanne said...

So Funny!!!!
Trying on bathing suits has always been a problem for me....when I was 100lbs, they were too big and no bra padding. Now they are all too small with TOO much bra padding for me. The lighting is always a nightmare....
Salma Hayek has nothing on you girl.

HWHL said...

I know what you mean about the bra padding, my friend. I am not in need of that either (although, back in HS, I would have given my left arm for a bit more 'boobage') It's funny how our bodies change over time, isn't it?? S. is just starting to develop and she can't WAIT until we go buy her first "real" bra.