Friday, May 30, 2008

The Really Mean, Really Fat Lady and How My Waitress Wound Up Getting a 40% Tip

Hubster and I always tip really well. I guess it's because we've both done "time" in the restaurant business. (In fact, we met one another at a rib restaurant we both worked at - I was 17, and he was 20.)

Anyway, so tonight we took the kids and went out to a local BBQ restaurant for dinner.
Our waitress was a very shy and sweet little thing and it became obvious very quickly that she was also hearing-impaired. So, we (and everyone else in her section) were very patient with her because it took her a little more time than the average waitress. However, she was extremely sweet, very accommodating, and ultimately, a very good waitress.

Well, this hugely obese woman sitting behind us (with her unruly obese children) was downright abusive to our waitress. So much so that everyone in our section of the restaurant was staring at her. This woman was raising her voice and berating the waitress for every little thing.... it was awful. And then, right before the b*tch left, she asked to speak to the manager. She told the manager what a lousy job the waitress had done, etc.

Absolutely made my blood boil. (I just HATE it when people are mean. HATE it.)

So, long story short, I told our waitress that I had waited tables as well back in the day and to just "let it roll off your back". I also made it a point to tell the manager that our waitress did a good job and that other woman was really abusive and out of line.

And then we left our sweet, hearing-impaired waitress a 40% tip.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I am right there with you. It is a HARD job. Once you get a rhythm it becomes easier....people are a pisser though....mean people suck watermelon. Through a garden hose. Through a chain linked fence.
Oh, I am thinking of Mama Kong again...that part of the post will come later. The ho is on my mind right now....sorry.
take care friend.

HWHL said...

Maybe Laura's stepmother and Mama Kong are related.... they almost sound like the same person.

Yes, that will be a good posted. Very cathartic.

Unknown said...

I agree. Your tip money was well spent. I can't understand how people can be such jerks to each other.

"Love one another"

Me said...

It's so upsetting to see people treated like crap. You were very kind to leave her a great tip and also take the time to let her know she was doing a good job and to let it roll off her back. If you didn't she may have gone home crying and who knows what. Seems like compassion for people (and animals) is falling by the wayside in many people. Sucks.