Friday, May 9, 2008

An Open Question for my Fellow Bloggers

Yes, this is a legitimate question, and not an effort to be witty or droll on my part.

I have hardwood floors in my foyer and, up until this morning, had a house plant happily living in the corner of the foyer. Unbeknownst to me, the pottery my plant was in had a tiny little leak in it, so I've had a small amount of standing water on my hardwoods for a few weeks now. It hasn't affected a huge area... maybe about an inch wide by about 3 inches long. But, as you can imagine, it's discolored and the wood is kind of peeling and 'not looking happy'.

Any ideas on how I can remedy this? (Or even if I CAN remedy this?)
Or should I just put something creatively (and permanently) over the offending area.....?
Thanks in advance.

Signed,
-Baffled in the 'Burbs

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This happened to me!!! First of all, because I LOVE hardwood floors. Second of alll, I LOVE plants....and I had to learn the hard way that these two don't mix.

My wood warped quite a bit. I hired someone to come in, sand the area down and revarnish it. It wasn't much money because my family has connections. It blended pretty nicely and smoothed out great!

However, no more plants on my floors!!!


Good luck!

Suzanne said...

I can not help you. Sorry.
I will have to post for you a picture of my back hallway that has water damage from our last hurricane.
We have laminate floors, and they warp too.
Good luck.

HWHL said...

OK, ladies.... I went to Home Depot today... they loaded me up with Stuff. I have the tools to sand it, stain it, then seal it. They told me "You can do it. We can help." (Not really, but I do feel like I can do it..... full report to follow.... eventually....) :-)