Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Careful Out There

Further to what BuzyBee had to say on this same subject only a couple of weeks ago.....

I just got a fairly benign comment from a blogger and when I went to his site it was filled with all sorts of really graphic imagery, and some really explicit language. (To say he doesn't respect women and views them only as sexual toys would be an understatement....)

Also, I've had one crazy lady from India who keeps repeatedly asking me to let her post a link on my blog advertising her site ("...ummm... how does NO strike you?!"). She also has some really bizarre stuff on her blog. One of her ads says "You're ugly, but so am I, and I'm RICH". (Hmmm.... don't remember learning that tactic in Advertising 101.)

I'm all for self-expression, but there are some Weird Frikkin People out there in the blogosphere.

So, word to the wise, just be careful whose comments you allow on your blog.... I did have one (when I first started blogging and naively thought everyone was sweet, happy and full of goodwill!) who left a comment on my blog with a hyperlink that said "click here" and, like a dummy, I DID, and it downloaded a nasty virus onto my hard drive. (Which, eventually had to be replaced.)

So, tip of the day: be careful, and learn from my mistakes.

5 comments:

Sugar Jones said...

I guess that's why I'm not on your blogroll... hahaha... just kidding. Love the tunes, by the way. I just have to make sure to turn mine off so I can enjoy your mix.

Anyway, I have a new poll over at http://asksugarjones.blogspot.com/ Hope you can take a moment to put in your two cents. Thanks!

Me said...

I had one of those "click heres" a while ago and I hoped my MAC antivirus caught it. Sometimes people just suck.

HWHL said...

I've been meaning to put you on my "roll" Sugar... just haven't gotten around to it. You shall appear soon, I promise! :-)

And I'll come take your poll soon, too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips. Some people get a kick out of some pretty nasty things. Too bad they can't put their brains to use for something good. Lord knows the hackers know a lot more about computers than I do.

Suzanne said...

At least one time a week I get some really wierd comment...it is usually easy to tell it is some wacko by the comment. I wrote something deep/meaningful and the person wrote "way to go sista"
a-ya....idiot.