Saturday, June 14, 2008

Today I Went to a Wedding

Today I went to a wedding. Yes, I know going to a wedding on a Saturday in June is really NOT that big of a "news item". But the reason it's big to me is because the young lady who got married is the daughter of one of my best friends from high school.

Meaning.... this child (er, bride) could very easily have been MY daughter.

And, today, she got married.

The wedding was simple, yet very lovely. The bride married the young man she's been dating since high school (they are 21 and 22 now, respectively). They are both very mature, responsible young people. (If these two are representative of their generation, our country can breathe a big sigh of relief. Seriously.)

He is a Marine - on leave from active duty in Iraq - and she works for a large commercial property management company here in Atlanta. They're beautiful, happy, intelligent kids who have the world by the tail. And today was their day.

The thing that GOT ME, watching them saying their vows, were all the memories that were playing in the theater of my mind.... the memory of her mom, my good friend, telling me (when we were just 18) that she was pregnant. Then the memory of that beautiful baby girl - always happy and laughing. Before Hubster and I had our own kids, she was almost like our own "surrogate" daughter .... we saw her almost every weekend when she was young and would often take her out on fun "outings" (in fact, one time we were featured with her on a TV commercial for Zoo Atlanta.... ).

So, to see her today, walking down the aisle, radiant in white and getting married to her handsome Marine, really sent me for an emotional loop. I've been very weepy all day. But also very, very proud.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Um yeah, my best friend has FOUR kids. FOUR! I mean, really, I can't even get a date, and she has FOUR kids. Sometimes I imagine what my life would be like if I were her, and it's terrifying!

HWHL said...

I have a prolific family.... I have a cousin who has 8 kids, another cousin who has 4 kids, and then the rest of my cousins (and my siblings) all have between 2 and 3 kids.

But imagine.... EIGHT kids. (No twins, or triplets either... 8 pregnancies and 8 babies... they range in age from 22 down to 4!)

Suzanne said...

Nice story. Thanks for the positive thoughts on the next generation of adults.
Who is the Mom? Do I know her?

HWHL said...

Suz,
Yes, you DO know her, and we talked about you at the reception... (you are remembered very fondly...!)
I'll email you shortly....
:-)