Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Money Management When You're Self Employed

.... is really challenging.

I'm a sole proprietor (and sole employee) in my business, and I work out of my home.
Right now, I have clients who are past due to the tune of about $15,000.
Not exactly chump change.

It's a little irritating considering my mortgage still needs to get paid, I still have groceries that need to be bought, there's the light bill, the water bill, the car payment, and let's not forget gas for both cars (which goes higher and higher every frikkin DAY!), etc., etc.

But you know what?

The financial uncertainty that comes with the territory of being self-employed is soooo worth the benefits I get in return. (And by benefits, I don't mean vacation, disability, 401K.... no, I don't get any of those..... left ALL THAT BEHIND when I fled Corporate America after 18 years...). By benefits I mean the fact that I answer only to myself (and my clients, of course); that I work when I want (and not when some Draconian Boss tells me to); and that I work in a field where I can really truly help people.

So, give me the uncertainty of not knowing when my $15K is going to land in my PO Box. I'll take that uncertainty any day, as long as I can keep the hard-won freedom I have as well.

5 comments:

Najia said...

Amen. I can't wait to get to a home business. I'm praying it will be within the next 5 years.

Suzanne said...

Nice.
I am envious of you missy. You have done SO well for yourself.
I am too waiting for all my paychecks to come in....oh, Coach would not like that statement. :)
kidding...

HWHL said...

KBL - keep visualizing it - there is tremendous power in that! And when it DOES happen for you (and it will), you will never look back!

Suz, we've BOTH done well, and come a long way since our days at THS.... Coach Green would be proud of us both. LOL. :-)

Me said...

I'm with ya all the way! I made the leap from Corp. America years ago and have been self employed ever since and even when I'm rubbing pennies together, it's sooooo worth it!

Boquinha said...

Hi!

I've found you through D'Arcy's blog (I think) and I'm commenting to say AMEN! You've said it well. You can't put a price tag on the freedom and flexibility. And visualizing IS very, very, very powerful.