Monday, June 16, 2008

The Lost Art of Letter Writing

Technology is wonderful. I am the first one to admit it. Technology has enabled me to carve out my little business niche, so I'm very thankful for computers, cell phones, etc.

However, there are certain things I really miss about the BC ("Before Computers") era.

And one of them is..... the fine art of correspondence. Real correspondence. Sitting down at a desk with a pen, some paper and your thoughts and writing a letter to a friend.

It's a lovely exercise! And one that is all but extinct now.

And to be on the receiving end of hand-written correspondence from a good friend was (if memory serves) pure bliss.

My cousin Lucy and I wrote each other reguarly when we were growing up. Lucy is 6 years older than me and, because neither of us had sisters, we were very close. However, because my Dad was in the military, we moved a lot, so she and I kept in touch via the US mail.

I still remember the excitement of going out to the mailbox and seeing the envelope with my name on it and reading her funny letters..... and also letters from all the other friends I made through childhood and wound up moving away from.
I have saved all of them, and they bring back some great memories.

What are your memories of "special letters" from your childhood?

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

nice. I did save all my letters from friends as well as a huge box of "notes". remember the ones we used to pass back and forth throughout school. Unfortunatly I left them at my dad's house when I moved out and they were thrown out along with school pictures by the "evil one".

HWHL said...

Are you serious?! Mama Kong through AWAY your notes and your school photos?! Wow - she was PURE, undiluted Evil.

I will go down in my basement and dig up our old HS notes... they are somewhere down there, amongst everything else. If/when I find them, I'll scan them and email to you and we'll have a good laugh!
:-)

Dawn said...

I just love it when there's a handwritten envelope waiting in my mailbox... and you don't even need the return address to know who it's from- you can tell the minute you see the handwriting :) I was always a big letter writer- but since kids, I find little time to do that. But my son is at camp right now- adn he loves to get mail... so I've got a stack of stuff to send him, just for fun!