Monday, June 16, 2008

What Tiger Woods Taught Me on Fathers Day

I admit it. If I had been Tiger Woods this past weekend, out at Torrey Pines, I would've thrown in the towel. Did you see his face? The pain he was in was excruciating. My stepmother and I were watching the tournament and we thought he should just wave goodbye to the crowd, sign some autographs, and hop on his jet and go home to his wife and baby girl.

My Dad just shook his head, laughed at us and said "That thought hasn't even crossed his mind."

And Dad was right (as usual). Tiger kept going, despite the considerable pain he endured with each and every shot. And, as we all know, he wound up coming from behind and winning the tournament today, in sudden death. Amazing.

Here are some quotes that sum up what I gleaned from Tiger:

  1. In the middle of a difficulty lies an opportunity (Albert Einstein)

  2. The dictionary is the only place where "success" comes before "work" (Unknown)

  3. Concentration is the secret of strength (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

  4. It isn't whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up (Vince Lombardi)

  5. Never, never, never give up (Winston Churchill)

  6. Failure is the path of least persistence (Unknown)

  7. It ain't over til it's over (Yogi Berra)

6 comments:

Gustav said...

I love those quotes.

Tiger is sensational and we can all learn from him and each other.

Sugar Jones said...

Tiger winning at Torrey Pines is starting to become a tradition here in San Diego. I wasn't watching, but I was following the news and all the jabbering while out and about. I don't know, but I was sure that he would pull it out. He is an amazing athlete with so much inner strength.

It's always so cool when he does what he does just down the road.

PS: He's from LA, you know. ;)

Dawn said...

I enjoyed watching what was left of golf on Sunday when I got back from camp... I love Tiger- but does he have to throw that club to the ground when he's mad??? Those clubs are expensive! And he's not showing good sportsmanship... or a good example for his little girl. But yes, he is something... a good lesson for those of us who could so easily throw in the towel, which, by the way, is not as expensive as a golf club!

Suzanne said...

nice quotes.
Of course we were cheering for the underdog who is from our little town here.

Me said...

Tiger is a machine. If people had 1/10th of his mental focus and determination this world would be a better place. He is awe inspiring to watch (and I HATE watching golf but I enjoy watching him).

Tom was thrilled he got to stay home with me yesterday because they played another round. But then again he did say if he wasn't playing nurse maid to me all day he would've been at Torrey Pines watching it live. Whatev.

HWHL said...

Smiley - the scenery at Torrey Pines was spellbinding. So much so that I wrote a posting on how I'm planning on selling my house and moving out there (not really, but the scenery is really amazing.... )

I agree with you about Tiger. He inspired me yesterday with his win. I set my alarm up early and got up and worked out this morning and have been a lot more focused today that normal. (Hopefully that will last more than 1 or 2 days.... we'll see...) :-)